Aluminium decking (Knotwood) is a versatile and durable product. But is it really sustainable?
The short answer is – Yes.
Now here comes the science bit…
• Aluminium is 100% recyclable.
• Aluminium decking is an ‘upcycled material’
• It can be recycled indefinitely.
• Approximately 2/3 of aluminium ever produced is still in use today.
• Aluminium does not ‘degrade’ during the process.
• Recycling used aluminium cuts the cost by 95% in both energy and production.
• Aluminium decking is durable and non corrosive. A natural film forms on the surface of aluminium (called aluminium oxide). It protects against the aluminium becoming scratched or damaged. This aluminium film helps the surface to instantly reform after the damage has taken place.
Plus aluminium decking really does look very good. Check it out in our decking gallery
9 Interesting Facts about Fijian Mahogany Timber Decking
If you like the look of mahogany but are a bit concerned about the environmental impact and fair trade issues surrounding buying this type of plantation timber. We’ve done our homework:
- Fijian mahogany is actually a Brazilian timber grown in Fiji.
- The mahogany-shoot-borer moth which causes the damage and deformity to the trees in South America, is not found in Fiji.
- A versatile, durable timber decking that’s really good for staining
- It’s often used to make electric guitars (nothing to do with decks or sustainability but interesting nonetheless
- Fijian Mahogany is grown in sustainable forests, with minimal environmental impact. There are trees of various ages in these sustainable forests. Some up to 40 years old
- The land is owned by Fijian clans who all share in the proceeds of the sales
- Fijian Mahogany is a national resource. The Fijian PM has even made a speech about the significance of managing the resource
- There have been two decrees recently made by the government committing to safeguard more efficiently the profits for their people and managing the sustainability of the timber more effectively
- It can only be sold in Fiji with a licence and processing of the logs can also now only take place in Fiji.
Contact us if you would like to find out more about mahogany timber decking, or would just like to have a chat about any of our other timber decking products.
Plastic Fantastic – Plastic Decking
Passport Plastic Decking has a brilliant reputation with the greenies and was one of the finalists at the Greensmart WA awards in 2012.
Greensmart, like it’s name suggests recognises products that are both green and smart. Passport Plastic Decking is both. Yes, it’s plastic but it has a low carbon footprint and lasts a really long time. It does not require maintenance, so no harsh timber treatment chemicals are needed at your home. And no trees are harmed in the process. So if you side with the anti-plantation groups. This is a great product for you. One which we highly recommend, contact us for more information.